Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Dance Pet Peeves

Don't we all have them. I can tell you one of mine.

Dancers who wear a jingly jangly hip scarf to a workshop. I have experienced two kinds of workshop facilities. One is LARGE and that makes it hard for people in the back to hear, and the other is SMALL and this makes the acoustics horrible. Both of these problems are only exacerbated by the noise of a coin scarf.

I found a great post here about basic workshop etiquette.

What is your pet peeve when it comes to dance?

3 comments:

Najla said...

Thanks for the link to my post! I completely agree with the hipscarf issue. However my biggest pet peeve is dancers who attend the workshop, but sit on the side (not dancing) and instead laughing and chatting with vendors...so disrespectful to the instructors! Happy Shimmies,

Najla

Anonymous said...

I agree with both of the above, and add:
1. people who answer their cell phone in class (and STAY in room to chat!)
2. in a more advanced class, participants who forget there are other paying students in the room and monopolize and slow down the instructor with an litany of specific questions about basic technique as if it were a private lesson 3. when it's a crowded workshop and space is at a premium, ladies who don't stay in their own designated "pizza pan" or "air space" while dancing or who seem oblivious to the people trying to dance next to or behind them.

Thanks for letting me share!
(Hopefully I didn't violate my own list of no-no's at the workshop last weekend!)

Caryn said...

Amen Jen, and I absolutely agree w/ all the above, though I'm not completely innocent of some of the mentioned breachs...