Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day 18: Weighty Matters

Tuesday was class night so at the end we did our 20 minutes. I usually read Alia's e-mail out loud before we start. I tell my students that they can choose to ignore it but some of the e-mails inspire me (others do not) and I like to read them right before I practice.
Days 18's note was about power and using your weight (or imagining you have more weight and power). This made me feel good. I am not a small person. I am 5'3" and apple shaped. I am round. Once in yoga, we were doing warrior pose and I looked in the mirror and realized that I am a ball of a person. If I had a super power it would be to roll up in a ball and then move really fast like Sonic the Hedgehog. 
I struggled for a long time to love my body. Don't worry, I am all better. One consequence of that long struggle was trying to "hide" or not do things I was capable of because they would highlight the thing I was trying to hide. Like shimmies. When I shimmy now, my belly shakes like there is an earthquake. It is Awesome (Capital A). I call this effect Wubble. It is a cross between wobble and wubba wubba (which is a mispronunciation hubba hubba). Some people are afraid of the wubble. We spend to much time toning up and sucking in when sometimes you just have to relax and let your wubble wubble. Also, I belly laugh now. For real, like Santa. I can't help it. I assume it has something to do with constantly engaging some of abs and relaxing other parts at the same time. Whatever, Awesome.

No comments: